Warning Signs of Addiction
Media Addiction is having an impact on millions of kids and adults across the country. And while it’s impacts are widely debated, it’s existence is not. Video game addiction in particular will for the first time be included in the American Psychological Association diagnostic manual, DSM.
If you are concerned about a family member’s usage of media, here are some warning signs.
- Secrecy or lying about use
- Spending more than 24-30 hours a week online not for work or school
- Mood shifts, such as increased irritability, if access is taken away
- A significant decrease in other activities and interests
- Neglecting friends, family and other responsibilities
- Sleep problems
- Deterioration of personal hygiene
Read more on this issue: New York Daily News